THE USE OF TIMBER FRAMES AROUND THE WORLD
Timber frame construction for homes is very common in many countries and a very reliable, sustainable building system. Over 70% of people in the developed world live in timber frame homes. In North America timber frame accounts for 90% of all low-rise housing. Timber frame is the most popular form of building construction in Scandinavia, thanks largely to its suitability for a cold climate where homes need to be able to be built fast, be very energy efficient and keep people comfortable throughout the year.
There are many advantages to timber frame construction, flexibility, speed of construction etc, but it’s best-known quality is its environmental excellence. The pressure to adopt more environmentally friendly measures is becoming more intense, with the Government demanding that all partners in the building industry contribute to reducing the impact of development on CO2 emissions. A timber frame home will emit less CO2 than a traditional brick or concrete block home. The timber is taken from sustainable forests which means the trees are replanted to the level of re-growth.
REASONS TO CHOOSE A TIMBER FRAME WHEN BUILDING A NEW HOME
- Flexible design – Timber frame construction provides scope for many more design features in a home and minor alterations can be made with relative ease. The timber frame walls can be clad in a range of external finishes from timber, stone, block/render, upvc etc.
- Quick build – A timber frame is generally of modular design and construction, pre-cut and manufactured in a factory. On site the frame can be erected in most weather conditions and is usually to a wind and water stage with windows and doors fitted within 2 weeks.
- Lightweight – The components in a timber frame weighs less and can be used on a brown field sites or sites with difficult land conditions. Easy transport. A timber frame home is a home that costs less to heat, that’s built to higher standards and is snug, warm and draught free that doesn’t need to come at the expense of future generations.
HKT TIMBER FRAMES
We at HKT design our frames to our clients own personal requirements and they are manufactured at our factory here in Lochmaben, Dumfriesshire. Other frame requirements include:
- Calculations and structural appraisals provided by our highly qualified engineers.
- Structural kit or full house kit supply, including roughing out and finishing components.
- Choice of finishes including windows, doors, stairs, etc.
- Kit erection and joinery services available.
- Delivery service to anywhere in the UK.